Pet Portrait Prices and Process
When you commission me to create a pet portrait, you are assured that what you will get is as unique as the pet that is portrayed. Everything about your portrait is custom-made — including the moulding for the frame, if you wish. The variables that factor into the price of a portrait include:
- Actual size
- Number of subjects
- Subject and background complexity and detail
- Framing can be provided, but is not included in the price of the artwork
- I can work from photos that you provide and/or visit you and your pet to take my own reference photos
For your edification, I have outlined below the process to commission a portrait. I make it easy for you. I will talk with you about the pet and guide you through the process, with as little effort as possible on your part. Because everything about your portrait is custom-made, the only way to determine the cost is with a private consultation. I look forward to discussing your portrait with you!
Things we will discuss:
- Is it for you, or a gift for someone else?
- What is the space in which the portrait will hang? This helps to determine the size of the piece.
- Do you have a notion about whether they want the whole pet portrayed, or just the head? This also plays a role in the size of the piece.
- Do you have a preference of media — pencil, pastel or oil? They all beautiful make for a beautiful picture, but have different characteristics. I discuss this with you to determine what best suits your tastes.
- Can you describe the personality, mannerisms and any other particular characteristics of the pet, that makes them what they are to their human?
I will need photos and/or videos of your pet:
- High resolution
- Head shots and full body
- Various angles and poses – no attire, please :)
- More is better. Many photos give me more choice, and help me to understand the characteristic expressions and poses of the pet
- A 50% deposit of the total portrait fee is required to start the portrait procedure.
- The balance, including all additional expenses (framing, travel, crating, shipping and handling, applicable sales tax, etc.) is due COD — upon delivery of the portrait. Invoice provided.
- Travel, reasonable lodging, and meal expenses are additional when it is necessary to leave Philadelphia
- Sizes are shown in USA inches. For centimeters, multiply each dimension by 2.54.
- When the painting is finished, I will deliver it personally or by insured carrier, crated for safe transport and delivery.
- The commissioner is responsible for delivery costs